Remote Desktop doesn't work

Thread: Remote Desktop doesn't work

Remote Desktop doesn't work

Hallo.
    I had 2 computers connected with a cable, and a simple windows network between them.
    From one of them i could use the remote desktop utility.
    Now i bought a new one, in stalled Windows XP, a router and try to connect, remotely, to the new computer from the other one-no use.
    A message: unable to log you on because of an account restriction.
    I didn't make any passwords, what's wrong?

Control Panel-> Windows Firewall->Exceptions tab. Make sure Remote Desktop has a check mark in it.

Firewall o.k., no Remote Desktop yet

There is a check mark in the firewall, on both computers. no use.
    Interesting that the name i entered when installing XP was Karol, later i changed the name of the single user of this computer to KarolR, and it says, in the place where the permit Remote Desktop check box is, that the user Karol already has permission.
    I thought the last user name, KarolR, should appear there, maybe that is the cause?
    With either name it doesn't work.

If you are able to connect to the remote file/print shares with the account(s), then it is either a setting within Remote Desktop or possibly a system/account policy configuration.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

Thanks.
    I can see files on the other computer, but i don't know if that is based on my account.
    I just made file sharing in the explorer window, by right clicking the disk drive letter.
    And i don't see any possibility to configure the Remote Desktop, so, it must be my account policy. where do i modify this?

At this point, it is not a networking or networking setup situation, but an operating system/application one. Since Microsoft keeps changing things around across its various versions, you might start at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)