Wireless as a bridge between wired segments?

Thread: Wireless as a bridge between wired segments?

Question Wireless as a bridge between wired segments?

I'm currently considering a wireless solution to connect components in multiple areas of my home. Some of these components are within the same room. Being a performance junkie, what I am picturing are two wired network segments connected by a wireless segment and possible additional wireless branches to other devices. Also, because of my performance wants, I am looking at Intel's 5000 series (802.11a - up to 54 mbit). The goal is to have all of the devices talking to each other.

What I am picturing is this...

SEGMENT 1:
    1. PC #1 in 2nd floor loft with NIC
    2. Cablemodem
    3. Wireless Access Point #1
    [These pieces connected to NetGear MR314 (wired/wireless cale/dsl router with 4 port switch and 802.11b support)]

SEGMENT 2:
    1. PC #2 in 2nd floor bedroom with NIC
    2. PC #3 in 2nd floor bedroom with NIC
    3. Wireless Access Point #2
    [These pieces connected to a NetGear FS506 switch.]

ADDITIONAL DEVICES:
    XBOX on first floor with 802.11b wireless connection to the NetGear MR314 cable router to provide Internet access for XBOX Live.

Here are the questions I have:

1. Is this design feasible?

2. Is there a better way to do this while maintaining 100mbit performance between co-located components?

3. With the design I described, would the devices on segment 2 be able to use DHCP from the NAT in the NetGear MR314?

I'll probably have more questions, but I'll save those until I can get answers to these.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to offer. It will be greatly appreciated.

--Tom

You say you are considering wireless and want good throput. Do you have the MR314 already?

What's the distance between 1st floor and 2nd floor loft?

What is the basis for your throput needs?

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

I have not yet purchased any of the network hardware described. I have also not yet purchased PC's #1 and #2. PC #3 has a 3COM 10/100 NIC.

The XBOX on the first floor is approximately 30 feet from where the MR314 (or other suggested) would be. The MR314 would sit about 12-15 feet perpendicular to the stairway which is open (no wall between). The XBOX is directly next to the bottom of the stairs, about 4 feet away.

The need for the throughput is based on PC #3 acting as a file server. I want to support streaming audio and video across the network from that machine and it would also be used to backup the other two PC's (probably Ghost) onto it's drives.

The throughput from the XBOX to the cablemodem is not as critical since my cable provider only supplies about 3mbit of bandwidth anyway.

Thanks,
    Tom

Originally posted by Greenstead
    You say you are considering wireless and want good throput. Do you have the MR314 already?

What's the distance between 1st floor and 2nd floor loft?

What is the basis for your throput needs?

I have similar *****ions (for video) and have two MR314s.

The MR314 is only 802.11b (as you already know) so limited to approx 3.5-5 Mbps in real throput. Not very good for video bit rates but is OK if you convert to Windows WMV compressed format. Anyway, it won't stand the test of time.

802.11a is good throput but range is limited and I think is already a dying standard (thats controversial). You may see these devices droping in cost.

802.11g would seem the upcoming standard, good throput and range, but devices are fresh on the street and problems so far are reported with 802.11b compatibility.

My suggestion would be to wait for the 802.11g devices to mature more, probably towards end of this year. Recommendations on specific products obviously will depend on how vendors improve their products thro this year but I would watch for example Linksys and D-Link and Netgear.

You should be able to use a wireless router/bridge in the 2nd floor loft and use it as the DHCP server for everything in the house with wireless adapters or repeaters thri the house.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com