Remote Shutdown "Access Denied"

Thread: Remote Shutdown "Access Denied"

Remote Shutdown "Access Denied"

Hi im on a home network , setup by my self . I have been trying to use the command in cmd prompt Shutdown -r -m \\Computername, i am getting ACCESS DENIED i dont know wer to start ? both computers are logged in with admin accounts , do i need to make admin permissions across the network or something?.

thanx for who helps me
    Last edited by kapz; 09-19-2006 at 11:38 PM.

It might help if you identify which OS you are using, since "shutdown" is not part of a stock Windows installation. If it is Windows, you should contact the author of the "shutdown" utility that you are using.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

All my computers are running Windows Xp Professional - Shutdown comes stock as far as i know all i have too do is type in command prompt shutdown -i and it brings a GUI up or you can just type the syntax shutdown -r -m \\computername i hope this can help.

I stand corrected! Microsoft sneaked yet another command into Windows, XP being the case this time. It's a rights issue, which is really OS and not truly networking related. Here's a link to some Microsoft information on the command - http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...33.mspx#BKMK_7 (second to last hyper-linked bullet).

Thank you cszeto problem solved.. i set some local permissions . which i found out how too do in one of those articles THANX for your help

Great! Glad that it worked out for you.

I have the same problem but I am unsure of how to setup the local permission rights. Any help of what you have done?

3 comp r running xp pro and one is running home

tonyt, it looks like the answer is in the quoted article. This subject in general is not something that is commonly discussed across the basic SOHO networking subjects around here.