Internet Gateway Disabled-& wont enable

Thread: Internet Gateway Disabled-& wont enable

Internet Gateway Disabled-& wont enable

It seems there are alot of posts in alot of forums of this problem but none seem to have answers. Hopefully this problem can be solved and people with the same problem can search and try and find a solution.

heregoes;

I have a Cable internet conection which is connected to my Cable Modem, the cable modem is connected to my wireless router, which is connected to my PC Ethernet card. Diagram like this:

Cable Internet (ISP) > Cable Modem > Wirless Router (MSI RG54G2) > PC.

The computers using connecting to this wireless router are the PC directly connected and a laptop, which they are BOTH running XP PRO SP2.

The problem happened when I was having problems connecting and loading webpages, I then disconnected the Cable Modem from the router and Plugged it directly into the PC's ethernet card. The PC automatically configured the Cable Modem settings and the internet worked fine. Its when its connected through the router it doesn't let the "Internet Gateway" be "enabled".

Things I have tried that didn't work:
    - Updating the Routers Firmware
    - Enabling the Gateway (after doing it's enabling, it automatically goes back to 'disabled')
    - Renewing the IP's (after releasing them)

This is one unbelievably annoying problem I think alot of people get, and it's due to the router.

Sorry for the long post, and for any help I would be hugely greatful.
    Thanks, Saka.

Hi,

Can you tell me to which port is the modem connected on the router? Is there no port on the router named Internet?

Riadh

if all else fails then delete and reinstall (the gateway/router). but first I would check your IP settings for tcp/ip. assume that you plugged the cable back into where it was before you had problems

OK listen all, here is the problem. I am also having this problem.

In the Sony Vaio there is the 2 connections appearing at the time of successful connecting. When us Vaio users see this we see our Ethernet connection -CONNECTED and we also see this mystery connection under the heading " Internet Gateway " -CONNECTED.

Here is the problem. It is a true statement that this "Internet Gateway" Connection disconnects and connects randomly. I have actually found this "Internet Gateway" to be related to the services.exe process, and starting this process solves the issue most of the time. Other times i have no explanation for.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...oncontains.jpg

Hi there,

I've got the same problem and i can't seem to resolve it. When you try ping any website, you get the reply with a text "Destination net unreachable", which means that when you are trying to access a webpage, you send request to router which then is supposed to pass it over to cable modem, and then to the internet... The problem is probably that the router doesn't know where to pass the message to.. ;( what about internet gateway's services? What should i add there?
    The thing is, that when i plug USB network adaptor into my laptop, Internet Gateway is enabled, but i still can't access the internet, that's very strange.

It's me again,
    I've resolved the problem so just wanted to share the solution.
    The solution is actually simple, it was all about UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), it messed up the network.
    Here is the website on how to disable UPnP - http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2003/upnp.html

After you have disabled UPnP, all you need to do is turn off your computer, then unplug all the cables from your cable modem & router, wait 10 minutes and plug cables back in the following order:
    turn on your modem and wait until cable modem led's stabilise;
    then turn on your router and wait until it is ready;
    then connect your modem's Ethernet cable to the Router's Internet Port;
    and finally connect your computer's Ethernet cable to one of the router's LAN ports or simply go wireless )
    To check that it is working, you need to go to router's web-configuration page (it is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1), and in WAN section it should have IP, Gateway, DNS of your cable modem.
    Hope it helped.

bandit, thank you for sharing your solution and outcome.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)