Can't connect to Belkin router/admin page

Thread: Can't connect to Belkin router/admin page

Last night since I was having slow/non-existent connection issues, I turned off the NAT option on my Belkin wireless G router. Immediately afterwards I lost internet connection as I expected but now can't connect to the config page @ 192.168.2.1 . I tried running the setup software again and it can't communicate with the router, either. Tried hitting the reset button several times, disconnecting the router, etc. but the config page still won't load. Is there anyway to manually revert the router back to factory settings?

Thanks.

Question

What Belkin device? That information will be a big help helping others help you...
    "When all else fails, read the instructions..."

Al Jarvi
    MS-MVP Windows Desktop User Experience (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com)
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Lightbulb

Not knowing which Belkin G router your using I simply guessed and downloaded the manual for the F5D7231-4 device. Page 13 states you press the reset button on the back of the device for 10 seconds to reset the device to the factory default condition. It says the front panel lights will flash and the reset is complete when the Power/Ready light is on solid again.

If this is not your router then its probably a similar procedure for yours...

Find your manual here...

http://www.belkin.com/support/downlo...9&lang=1&mode=

Good luck...
    "When all else fails, read the instructions..."

Al Jarvi
    MS-MVP Windows Desktop User Experience (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com)
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Had the same issues today trying to hook up the exact same router to my system. This is what I found. Of all things, the router had the same IP address as the modem!: 192.168.2.1 (DSL modem)
    Of course, this will not fly. You can't have two devices in your network with the same IP address. Not happening. (the following with computer on)

So, I had to unplug the power from the modem. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the router. Unplug the power from the router. Let the modem reset (takes about a minute). Plug in the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. Then plug in the power to the router. Let router cycle. Open up Internet Explorer or browser. Let it give you the "connection not available" screen. Then in the address bar delete any address that might be in there. Type in 192.168.2.1 Hit enter. Now you should get the settings screen from the router. If you don't I would suggest giving the router a hard reset and trying again. (Push reset button with paper clip for 30 seconds and release)

Go to the LAN settings in router configuration and give your router a new IP address: ie, 192.168.3.1 Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. Wait for the router to do it's thing. (maybe 30 seconds or so) At this point you should be able to get an internet connection. If you do then you can type in the new IP address of the router in the address bar of IE. Now is the time to configure all your settings and passwords to get you secure. I had to go "around the block" you might say a few times to get Windows to "see" the router. I had to restart W-XP Pro twice during this merry-go-round. Embarrasing to say: I had all my settings dialed in and then what do I do? I give the router a firmware update. Bad idea. Do the update first. Then configure settings.
    good luck

buddio,

Overlapping plans between equipment from different manufacturers do occur. Typically the ISP provides the DSL/cable modem, so they would actually be "on the hook" for supporting it, assuming the use of a NAT router behind there services is not against their AUP.

As for your "around the block" challenges, the "more correct" method is through the use of the "ipconfig" command with the "/release" and "/renew" options (all without the quotes) at the command line/prompt. "Enabling" and "Disabling" the network "...Connection" within the "Network and Dial-up Connections" will also yield similar results. Both are less intrusive than multiple reboots.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

cszeto,
    Thanks for your input on the ip address issue. I am just learning the ipconfig options in the command prompt and setting up routers. After disconnecting the router I should have figured out through ipconfig that both the router and modem had the same ip address. It was staring me right in the face! It is a lesson I will never forget. Thanks again.

buddio, you are welcomed.

Most quick start guides as well as manuals will typically also cover the ipconfig command/method. Disabling and then re-enabling the network adapter will also yield a similar result.

i have the same issue as 'whodini' and can not connect to the Belkin router and

need to know if whodini ever figured it out and if so, please tell me how?? thnks!!

i did the reset and it did not help??

bunnyo38@yahoo,

whodini's original posting is over 6 years old. How about sharing the following to get a better idea of your specific situation?

1. What are you trying to accomplish and what is actually not occurring
    2. Your actual configuration (maybe even a simple diagram)

If you are still experiencing difficulties, please consider providing specific information your actual situation and maybe even starting your own thread (to minimize chances for confusion - since this thread is quite old).