one computer connects, the other doesn't

Thread: one computer connects, the other doesn't

one computer connects, the other doesn't

You guys answered my question so well last time, I thought I would try another. I have a Belkin G+ router in the basement of the house. I set up a Dlink repeater with a high gain antenna in the machine shed (about 350 feet away). I have great signal to a laptop and fast connection in the machine shed. Works great. However I also have a gateway desktop in the same shed that I put a Belkin USB wireless adapter in and it has limited or no connectivity. It shows the belkin network and says it is connected and shows 5 bars of signal, but I don't have any internet and it says it is little or no connectivity. I can set the laptop right next to this computer and the laptop gets great connectivity.
    The house computer and laptop are windows xp, the computer (with the problem) in the machine shed is windows 2000.
    As before, I am not a computer geek, so please answer in engligh. I think I've been lucky to get this far.
    PS, I really enjoy this forum, it has saved me many times.

I forgot to say that the laptop that connects has a netgear wireless card in it.

OK, I am totally stupid. I guess the laptop is not connecting either. It must have been going to "stored" pages and just made me think it was actually bringing up the internet. The internet does work in the house on the laptop. When I take the laptop to the shed, it, and the gateway computer both show on the network cards that they are connected to the Belkin network and show strong signal. They show as connected by access point. But no internet on either. Please help!

I figured it out. Apparently the repeater was outside of the range of the wireless router. When I moved it to a better location, both computers connected with no problems.

Glad we could help again.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com