Connected to Wireless Router, but no internet

Thread: Connected to Wireless Router, but no internet

Connected to Wireless Router, but no internet

I have a Linksys WRT54G that I've set up with all the relevant security stuff. My desktop computer is plugged into it and I have it set to a static IP of 192.168.1.100. It connects to the internet with no problems. I'm trying to get my laptop to connect wirelessly to the router. It connects but has no access to the internet.

When looking at the IP that is generated when connected wirelessly, it is 169.254.183.8. And there is no Default Gateway. My first thought was to set a static IP for the laptop as I did with the desktop. So I plugged my laptop into the router and checked what IP was generated. The IP was 192.168.1.101. I've gone into the wireless TC/IP settings and set the IP address, the Default Gateway, and the DNS servers. However, I still can't get a connection to the internet. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on and how I can fix it?

The trouble with setting a static IP is that you bypass the DHCP communication that proves you are communicating. The 169.254.183.8. is saying it is not communicating with the router. Since the laptop works with its wired connection then the problem is with the wireless adapter or its settings. I suggest you delete the wireless adapter in device manager and then reboot which will get you a fresh driver install with the default settings, which is all you need to start communication - leave encryption off until you get working at that point.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

Fixed!

That did it. Thanks for the help.