can you assign static IP to the printer?

Thread: can you assign static IP to the printer?

can you assign static IP to the printer?

I think this can be done but before I get myself in trouble, I thought maybe some people here who know routers could give a quick answer.

I have a Linksys WRT54G in a home network and I want to give the printer a static IP.

The printer (an HP all-in-one) constantly gives error messages when sent a print job -- HP believes the problem is caused by the PC's and printer having different IP addresses. It's not clear why this happens -- but since the only way we get it back is to turn off *everything* including the router, printer and PCs -- it's probably true.

I think I've seen an option in the router that would allow me to assign a static IP to a device -- since the house has only a total of 6 possible devices, I figure if I make the printer number 7, there's no chance of confusion and I can stop these errors.

Does this make sense or is there something I should know?

Never having used an All-in-one I'm guessing. I don't believe what HP support are saying. I would expect a printer to have a static IP address, but I would expect it to be set in the printer (or in the printer installation setup), not the router. The AIO manual should tell you how.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

This is on a home network running DHCP and the router assigns IP addresses to each device, so I figured that the router would need to be involved.

But I guess I ought to make sure that printer keeps that static address in its firmware.

Most printers ive used require you to se the ip address in the printer itself, so it would seem that the problem would be that the printer is defaulted to an ip address thats the same as an ip on your network.

As Greenstead said, your user manual or an online one should contain the information to change the ptinter's ip address, and from there you can assign the same ip address in your router as the static address.

I guess I don't trust the printer to keep that address -- it's been flaky.

I was hoping that the router would be able to know that when it sees this MAC address come on the network that it should be assigned to the specific IP address.

Your router is set by default to offer DHCP addresses above 192.168.1.100, so if you set the printer to 192.168.1.10 it should not conflict with any DCHP address offered out to other devices on your LAN.

thanks.

I did give the printer a static IP (I found the option on the printer's confirmation menu). And it seems to have solved the problem.

I have been dealing with this for months and I don't know why it was so difficult. It seemed like everytime there was a change in the network, the printer would get lost.

Some of the PC's were fixed as soon as I made the printer a static IP and some weren't OK until I went into the PC's printer properties box and entered the IP there.

Yes, you should give your printer a static IP

Hello,

You should not have your printer if it is networked via wired Ethernet or Wireless on DHCP. DHCP is a network service that give your machines and other devices an IP address when they boot up. HP is correct in saying this may be the problem. If you go into your Linksys you will need to go to the DHCP configuration page. It should say that you have something like 192.168.1.x and that you have x (x is the number of machines that would be given a dhcp address) amount of leases. So if X were 10 then DHCP would use addresses 192.168.1.2 -11 and you can use addresses 192.168.1.12-254 for any Static IP addresses you need because they are not part of your DHCP pool (addresses Dhcp is giving out). See linksys.com or your manual for more info.

All you have to do is go to the Web interface of the printer to set an Static IP. Check your printer manual for this info. After you do that you need to reconfigure your PC's printer to point to the new Static IP address.

thedevnull,

I checked the router's manual from the Linksys website, and confirmed that this router's DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.100, that's why I suggested the printer should have a static address of 192.168.1.10.

Another possibility is to include the printer in the DHCP scheme, but to ensure that the same DHCP address is given out to the MAC address of the pritner. However this is over-complicated for a simple home network.

but how do you accomplish setting up a static ip address

if the printer does not have a front panel to assign the address? most of the modern hp inkjets get their ip address from a router and there is no way to manually change it

It is actually highly recommended to assign to a Network printer a static IP.

The IP has to be at the same subnet as the Router.

I am not familiar with your Printer but I never saw a network printer that its IP cannot be changed.

The Linksys WRT54G does not have IP reservation. I.e. you cannot force it to give the same IP to the same device within the DHCP.

However most 3rd party firmware would upgrade the WRT54G to be capable of reserving an IP.

Jack
    Microsoft MVP - Networking.