2Wire HomePortal and Linksys conflict

Thread: 2Wire HomePortal and Linksys conflict

Question 2Wire HomePortal and Linksys conflict

I am having problems connecting a linksys WRT54G router behind a 2Wire HomePortal 1070 modem router which has one ethernet and one usb port. I have tried all types of configuration but no luck. I need the features and functionality of the linksys router or else the 2Wire would do.

Is there a way of disabling or bypassing the router function in the 2Wire modem? I assume the conflict arises when trying to connect one router to the other router.

In the guide for the linksys router it says you can connect one router to another but only if it's another linksys and which has an ip address of 192.168.1.1, the HomePortal has a default ip 192.168.1.254. I would appreciate some advice as how to resolve this, thanks.

Unhappy winky i have the same problem

well i have a home portal 1070 with the firmware version 3.7.5 and have a router from cyber guard, i need to convert my 1070 from router to bridge, therefore the CG ROUTER can manage the routing job, and vpn etc, i you can access the 1070 with the default adress 192.168.1.254/management . you can view a different menu, in that menu in left side said services that supose you can select from router to bridge and viceversa, but i cant do that i have an error message,,, if you can make a phone call to 2wire support Phone: 408-428-9500
    Fax: 408-428-9590

in usa and obtain more info i apreciate to much. my problem is i live in mexico, my email adress is disalap@prodigy.net.mx
    thanks winky

Hey guys,

To be able to use your other routers, you just need to bridge the HomePortal. After doing this, you will need to configure your other router to do the ISP connection. Also, BE SURE to read the information on the Configure Services page -- you may even want to copy it to a text file for possible future use. Here's instructions on how to turn off routing:

Go to http://gateway.2wire.net/management
    * Click on Configure Under Broadband link
    * Put dot in Disable PVC Search
    * Set VPI to 0 and VCI to 35 (depends on service provider may be 8/35, 5/32, etc).
    * Connection Type should say Direct IP
    * Click Submit
    * Click on Configure Services
    * Uncheck Enable Routing
    * Click Submit

Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

Yes, there's definitely a valid point there -- doing what I said will prolly break PPPoA connections. One alternate method would be to go to the HomePortal via http://gateway.2wire.net > Firewall > Firewall Settings, and put the router in the HomePortal's DMZ. While you may still end up with some double-NAT problems, this is the least interference from the HomePortal other than bridging it. Of course another choice is to turn off DHCP in the router, but at least one of the guys said he wanted the management features of that router -- wouldn't that turn most of them off, since the traffic only goes through the switching portion of the router?

extrados

extrados, what "double-NAT" problems are you referring to? In most cases as long as there is no need to connect/contact machines sitting upstream of a NAT or IP plan conflicts, down stream access across multiple NATs is not a problem.

Oh, sometimes when I've seen people connected with 2 routers in series (usually because they have an "all-in-one" DSL modem/router that they thought was just a modem) they get some weird issues -- SMTP auth for email failing, secure sites not working, and a couple other quirky behaviours, mostly that depend on the packets not being "tampered with" so much. I've seen a lot less of it in the last year or so -- not sure whether that is due to "smarter" routers or smarter customers. Here's a quick Google search that shows that most people don't seem to have much problem with it: http://www.google.com/search?q=double+nat+problem

Those sound a lot more like MTU mismatches. There are some smaller ISPs out there that actually NAT their offerings too as well as a lot of public access arrangements (e.g. hotels, hot spots, etc.).
    Last edited by cszeto; 07-02-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Smile Here is the solution

Hai Winky,

Here the IP Address of your 2wire modem and the Linksys router fall under the same range of IP address. You can configure in this two ways.

1. configure the modem in the bridged mode and configure your linksys router in pppoe configuration

or

2. change the lan ip address of the linksys router to 192.168.2.1 so that there will be no conflict on the network. it will work fine

Regards,

Keith

It looks like Winky, who has not been active on this thread coming up on a year now, was referring to some Linksys documentation. Even in that situation, there is no IP conflict, so it does work. By "off band" IP addressing devices, it can make it challenging for folks who are not as networking friendly/proficient.

Thank you

I just wanted to Thank you for the post you wrote below.... it helped me greatly and it was so accurate... I know often people don't thank people but I do appreciate the post.

zeal65

Quote Originally Posted by extrados View Post
    Hey guys,

To be able to use your other routers, you just need to bridge the HomePortal. After doing this, you will need to configure your other router to do the ISP connection. Also, BE SURE to read the information on the Configure Services page -- you may even want to copy it to a text file for possible future use. Here's instructions on how to turn off routing:

Go to http://gateway.2wire.net/management
    * Click on Configure Under Broadband link
    * Put dot in Disable PVC Search
    * Set VPI to 0 and VCI to 35 (depends on service provider may be 8/35, 5/32, etc).
    * Connection Type should say Direct IP
    * Click Submit
    * Click on Configure Services
    * Uncheck Enable Routing
    * Click Submit

At least read through the quoted thread identified in post #4 before attempting... Also keep in mind that the steps turns off the built-in NAT router functionality and its "natural firewall" aspects.

I know this thread is old but I figured I would update since I googled and found it when attempting to run my Linksys behind my 2Wire. I was able to get it to work, write up with screenshots here - http://www.frfwebdesign.com/tutorials/router.php.

rayf220,

Your site presents information/approach which is totally opposite of this thread. This thread is around placing the 2Wire unit into "bridged/bridging" mode, which renders it to just a simple DSL modem.

Your approach is around "double NATting" another NAT router behind the 2Wire NAT router. This approach also works, but may be confusing to some, if they are not mindful of which NAT router their systems are connecting to in relation to each other across the overall network.