Get rid of unwanted internet connection.

Thread: Get rid of unwanted internet connection.

Get rid of unwanted internet connection.

I have a laptop and two desktop machines connected to a USR 9106 ADSL modem router. The two desktop machines are connected by LAN cables and the laptop by a USR 5410 wireless card. In setting up the network I somehow installed an internet connection on the laptop as well as the wireless network connection, which is all I really need. My Internet Explorer options on the laptop are set to connect by LAN and I would like to get rid of the additional internet connection entry but have been unable to find a way of doing this. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this, please?

I have been having some problems with losing my ADSL connection intermittently and wondered if this extra connection had something to do with it.
    Last edited by acbeaton; 09-20-2005 at 08:26 PM.

An added note to the above question.

I seem to have solved the ADSL connection problem by uninstalling, re-installing and re-configuring the modem-router, making sure that the other computers on my local network were disconnected from the router, as instructed in the USR 9106's User Guide, until after the internet connection was established. I thought this tip might be of value to others with a similar problem.

The unwanted internet connection on my laptop is still there and does not seem to be causing any conflicts as the main connection is now stable and bandwidth speeds have returned to normal. I am still keen to get rid of it but so far no-one has offered a possible solution. Clicking the disconnect button has no effect.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this internet connection that appeared. But it may be due to the fact that the USR 9106 supports UPnP which means it will announce itself to other UPnP devices (like your PC if the UPnP service is running). The PC may then display an internet gateway to indicate there is one present on the network for you to use. It is of no harm that it is there.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

Thanks, Greenstead. Let sleeping dogs lie seems to be the best policy here. I have switched off the "show icon in system tray when connected" option so that it is no longer staring me in the face all the time!