Limited or no connectivity - can't renew IP address
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Limited or no connectivity - can't renew IP address

Limited or no connectivity - can't renew IP address

Hi.
    I'm really new to this -- can't seem to fix my internet connection!
    I have a Dell truemobile 2300 router, two laptops, and two desktop computers attached to it, with a DSL model. All but the one Dell 600 m laptop are working fine. The laptop gets this error when trying to connect "this connection has limited or no connectivity" when I hit repair, it tells me that it can't renew my IP address. I have tried a number of things based on reading some posts:
    1) I have turned off router, DSL modem, etc and turned back on
    2) I have tried the winsock fix, which didn't work
    3) I have tried the SP2 patch, which also didn't work
    4) I have changed my network card speed (or something like that) to 10 mbs/full, still didn't work
    5) I checked all connections, everything is fine, and all other computers work fine
    6) I checked everything in the device manager and everything is working fine
    7) i have tried running the cmd prompt -- ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew -- after the renew command I get an error message -- it can't connect with the dhcp server

Any idea what I should do now?

Thanks
    Sara

Is it possible that you have a static IP setup in your TCP/IP properties, and you aren't obtaining automatically on that laptop.

Also - are you connecting wirelessly or wired with the laptop?

Hi Sara

This worked for me from another post - appologies to the author but I didn't make a note of the name/link:

Flush the DNS Cache:

Windows 2000/XP: Fire up a Command Prompt (Start Menu>Accessories) and execute the command
    ipconfig -flushdns

if you get 'could not flush dns' or message saying dns resolver cache could not be flushed.

If it is XP SP2 then go to Start > Run > CMD > type netsh winsock reset > enter, restart as prompted, if still no connection then go to Start, Control Panel (Network and Internet Connections then Network Connections -or- straight to Network Connections, double click on the Local Area Connection in use (usually the one that says Connected) and pick Support. Try the Repair button after Winsock fix. Use that winsock fix only if you are using SP2.

go to "start, control panel, administration tools,services,then look for DNS Client, and make sure it's started, and set to manual.

Suzanne

netsh winsock reset

thanks a lot for your "netsh winsock reset" advice, it finally made me sleep tight (..after a bloody-week-long troubleshooting)!

you're a genius! keep it up! *Kudos!

This was mainly a XP pre-SP2 issue, but thank you for sharing your results.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

I followed smills28's advice and got my connection fixed but my browsers still won't connect. This is a Dell XP SP2 connected wirelessly to a cable modem. Firefox says someting about proxy settings so I messed a bit w/ those but still no web access. I AM connected to the internet though; what's up?

djeddieo,

Do you have a proxy server in your environment? If not, then did you ensure that the entries are blank?

Normally, proxy servers are mainly used in enterprise environments. If you are in an enterprise environment, then you should contact the IT folks for assistance with the correct proxy configuration/settings.

I also have Limited or no connectivity and tried everything...
    When i go to Repair it says "TCP/IP is no enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed."

How can i fix this?

Mavi,

http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...ead.php?t=3237

Identifying what "everything" consisted of and its results would be the bare minimum start.

Cannot Renew IP Address

Essentially that's the error my USB modem is giving me when i hit "repair connection" (it tries to acquire an ip address, to no avail)

So you have an idea how i've set up my network:

Modem -- via USB --> my desktop
    -- via LAN --> wireless router --> my brother's notebook

I know that the modem's working fine, because my brother can access internet with no problem at all on his notebook (which i'm using to post right now).

The problem is my desktop doesn't resolve it's ip address, so i thought it could be one of the following:

1) driver issues: i uninstalled it and reinstalled it; anyways, recognizing the modem wasn't the issue, the issue was (and is) acquiring the ip address, but nonetheless... had to try, didn't work

2) IP address set manually: i suspected it might be set manually, but no, when i checked it, it was all set on automatic (ip and dns)

3) missing, disabled, or stopped service/driver/function: i'm guessing the problem is here; although i've tried enabling all possible network related services, my machine still won't resolve an ip address; now, i still think the problem might be here, because i just installed a custom version of XP (i took my Win XP CD, trimmed it down, added some apps, and created an unattended edition), so there's the posibility that i eliminated an essential driver/function (i didn't eliminate a single service, just configured them to auto, manual or disabled).

If anybody could shed some light on this, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Steve-N,

This thread is mainly around running the "netsh winsock reset" command to restore functionality. Have you done that?

The correct and supported configuration is to have the DSL modem (assuming that is what you are using, since you did not identify) connected directly to the SOHO wireless router.

If you have modified/edited any OS files, then you have an unsupported OS. You might try reviewing the OS logs to see if it identifies any OS current issues.

Problem Solved!!!

I couldn't verify if I had posted correctly (couldn't find my post... odd, or just plain distracted on my part XD)

Actually it was because I had set the DHCP service on manual instead of automatic, as soon as i started it, my pc resolved it's IP address and I was happily surfing the web again!

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

Thank you for sharing your solution/outcome.

I'm on an Emachine connected to a Linksys broadband router, which is then connected to a D-link router. The D-link router provides internet to the Linksys broadband router, which provides internet to the PC. However, I am getting limited or no connectivity, and I cannot renew my IP adress for some reason. I tried the netsh winsock reset, and I tried every possible combination of wiring, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Nusua,

Considering the information already contained across this thread, you might try providing some additional details to your specific situation...

- Did your configuration ever work?
    - Is it wireless or wired (non-working connection)?
    - Does it work elsewhere (another network)?
    - What OS version?
    - TCP/IP configuration output