"The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
I am running a 3 computer network, all running Win2k, all with ethernet cards and interconnected with a hub. Networking the three computers worked great untill I installed "pcanywhere" on my computer (was hoping to access network remotely through the internet). Now my computer will not talk to the other computers, and after two days of frustration and fruitless research i am no further. Well, almost. I removed pcanywhere and I changed my computer to (once again) obtain the ipaddress automatically and now I can at least ping the other computers. However, when I click on "computers near me" i am greated with "workgroup is not accessable, the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available". All else appears to be set up as before and as exists on the other two computers. LAC General Tab has client, file and print shareing, and TCP/IP selected but not netBEUI. TCP/IP is configured to get addresses automatically, DHCP enabled, no DNS server addresses, "append primary and connection specific DNS suffices" with "append parent suffices...", "enable netBIOS over TCP/IP", "IP security" and "TCP/IP filtering" the workgroup is called workgroup on all computers, the computer name remains unchanged, and there is no domain.
Are there any knowledgable saints out in cyberspace that have the slightest clue what I am missing?
What me worry?
This behavior can occur when no computer in the workgroup is designated as the master browser.
Force a browser election by restarting all computers in the workgroup.
I have 2 machines that used to see each other just fine in network neighborhood but now can't. One machine runs WinXP home and the other runs Win2000. Both machines can (a) ping the other one using their private IP addresses (b) see the other's shared resources using net view with IP addresses and (c) connect/map to the shared resources using IP addresses. None of those things works, however, when using their names.
Computer Browser, Server and Workstation are all automatic and started on both machines. Ipconfig/all reveals that both are using broadcast type nodes (one had been "unknown," which caused other problems, but I changed it to broadcast by adding a key in the registry). Both are configured to obtain IP addresses and DNS server addresses automatically and to use the NetBIOS settings from the DHCP server (my router uses "reserved" IP addresses for these machines). File and printer sharing is enabled on both machines and I have created shared resouces (disks and printers) on both machines (using share names that do not end in "$"). I use the same user name/password on both machines and they are both members of the same workgroup. I run Zone Alarm on both machines and have added the private IP address of each machine as a trusted zone on the other machine.
Given the fact that both machines can actually connect to the shared resources of the other using IP addresses, I think this has to be a DNS name issue, but I have not been able to figure out what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You seem to have addressed the main potential peoblem areas.
I am an ex-user of Zone Alarm due to problems it caused me for reasons unknown. I would suggest uninstalling it to see if that makes a difference.
Microsoft Hot Fix
I, too , have experienced a very similar problem. All the services running, able to map a drive, ping, etc. Check your Event log under System to see if your Computer Browser service is failing (timing out) at startup. If so, go here:
This is a hotfix that, once I installed, not only fixed my network browsing problems, but DRAMATICALLY increased the speed at which Explorer responded. You have to call Microsoft to get the Hotfix, but after installing, it works exactly as it should.
Hope this helps.