Wireless Network Problem using Linksys WET54G

Thread: Wireless Network Problem using Linksys WET54G

Wireless Network Problem using Linksys WET54G

I have a WRT54G linksys wireless router and the WET54G network bridge.

Router:
    DHCP enabled
    WEP encryption enabled
    Mixed mode broadcast
    Channel 6

Network bridge:
    Static IP: 192.168.2.2
    Mixed mode broadcast
    Channel 6
    WEP encryption settings match the router's settings.
    Located about 20 feet from the router, I get a signal strength of about 70% of 54mbps.

I have my xbox connected to the network bridge, and most of the time everything works fine, but occassionally I'll drop or get some very bad lag. Those problems never exist when I hard wire the xbox to the router.

To try to figure out what the problem was, I hard wired a machine to the router, and ran "ping 192.168.2.2 -t -l 1000" which pings the network bridge with 1000 bytes of data over and over and shows me the results after each one. The results are that almost every ping response is betweek 4 and 8 ms, but every 15 seconds or so I will get a response of over 1000ms or an occassional timeout. I tried moving the router and the bridge, but I keep getting the same results.

Does anyone know if these are the symptons of a bad network bridge (I am sure that the router works fine)? Could it be an interference problem since the network bridge is always within 5 feet or so of my home entertainment center (has subwoofer, speakers, receiver, HDTV, cable box). Are there any other tests I can do to verify the integrity of the wireless network signal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, the only thing between the router and the bridge is the closet my AC unit is in. Would that cause interference (sorry if I sound uneducated, but I'm not sure what can cause interference with the wireless network)? Thanks again.

Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)