Disable/Enable LAN after boot.

Thread: Disable/Enable LAN after boot.

Disable/Enable LAN after boot.

Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster!

Hope someone can help with this, it's more of a nuisance than a problem.

When my XP box starts it claims the the LAN is connected however there are no icoming packets and I can't ping out or ping in from other boxes. However when i disable the connection the re-enable it, all is well.

During this time i've updated to SP2 but that hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I would suspect the NIC driver or card.
    Check you have the latest driver updates.
    If the card is a PCI card you might try it in a different slot.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

Thanks for the reply, I've moved the card on occasion when I removed a modem and re-organised my cards but the problem remained.

I'll try reinstalling/updating the drivers and post the result.

Thanks Again

Some problem with me

Just bought a nem Sitecom wireless modem/router wl-118 and a Sitecom LN-0 20 LAN card.
    Icon says that connection from router to the lan card is good.
    When I try to connect to internet I receive a blank page.
    Then I disable/enable LAN and after do that I can access internet normally.
    I have to do this process always, after rebooting the computer, to access internet.
    Any help?

Hope someone can help with this, it's more of a nuisance than a problem.

When my XP box starts it claims the the LAN is connected however there are no icoming packets and I can't ping out or ping in from other boxes. However when i disable the connection the re-enable it, all is well.

mario, please try the same suggestion(s) first and share your results. Have you contacted the manufacturer at this point, since this appears to be new equipment?
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

Yes. I took off all cards except lan card. I moved that card to another pci slot but the problem remains. Now Iīm away from that computer but I was thinking about this and I donīt remember to see a gateway in network connections. may be Internet gateway device discovery and upnp user interface is not mounted. Those itens are installed from add/remove programs, windows components, networking services. I will check that only in the end of the month.

What about driver updates on the NIC and possibly BIOS updates on the motherboard? This is probably a hardware/driver interoperability issue, you might try a different NIC (a.k.a LAN card) too.

The Internet Gateway widget has nothing to do with the actual NIC not having connectivity to the local network (e.g. pinging local network devices). It "barely" comes into play when a network application needs to open ports, if the application and router are both UPNP compliant. UPNP seems to have already died a miserable death along with "Microsoft Bob" (if you remember that one)...

Cszeto you were right!

"Microsoft had put the AN983/AN983B chip driver in the WinXP system.
    Please plug PCI Fast 10/100 Ethernet Adapter LN-020 into PCI slot. After
    WinXP starts up, it can recognize this adapter automatically."

Is the text written on the manual. So I didnīt install any driver. NIC was recognized correctely in device manager.
    However ,following your sugestion, I have installed driver that comes on CD. Now everything is working fine.
    Thank you.

That's great that everything is now working for you. Thanks for following through on the suggestions and sharing your outcome!