Win XP network problem

Thread: Win XP network problem

Unhappy Win XP network problem

Hii, thanks in advance to u guys out there who is viewing this thread.

Im having a problem with my network connection
    Im connecting 3 computers to share internet connection
    The components in the network are comp A, B, C, a hub and an ethernet modem.
    The modem is connected to the hub as well the three computers.

To create the LAN connection i used the tool "set up a home or small office network" which is available in Win XP. The workgroup im using is MSHOME

My target is to achieve this condition :
    Im using computer A as the host, the one which connects to the internet. And computer B and C has to go through computer A to access internet.

However when i use the "set up a home or small office network" tool. All the computers has a very different IP.
    Comp A IP :192.168.0.1 DNS :255.255.255.0
    Comp B IP :169.254.62.62 DNS 255.255.0.0
    due to this when i use Comp A to ping Comp B at 169.254.62.62, there was no reply. so i configure the IP address for com B manually to 192.168.0.2 and DNS : 255.255.255.0 . After i made this changes i can get a reply when i ping com B from my host com. however i still not able to connect share files and internet connection with computer B anc C.
    Computer A has no problem connecting to the internet.
    The problem is i cant get in the network places workgroup which is MSHOME. every time i tried to get in the error message appear saying MSHOME is not accessible The network path can is not found.
    I tried many ways such as using the tool a number of times and changed the workgroup manually through control panel>system>computer name. Changed the name of the workgroup. I set the gateway in the computer B and C to 192.168.0.1 which is the Ip address of Computer A.
    Pls help.
    Thank you
    Ted123.

You might want to lay out your actual networking connections diagram. It seems that you might have some connection issues with where your hub is placed in relation to the computers and high speed modem.
    Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

This is the network layout

Here is the layout of my network. Com A is able to dial up to the internet through the hub. i guess its the problem with the workgroup, i cant access the MSHOME workgroup eventhough the workgroup of every com in the network already set to "MSHOME". whenever i try to access MSHOME the error message shows up saying MSHOME is not accessible follow by a statement saying access is not permitted,contact network admin.
    maybe somewhere there is some configuration to enable access to the workgroup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It seems like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) has been enabled on your Computer A. First thing first...

Why do your have the hub hooked up to the high speed modem? Does your ISP plan allow you to have 3 IPs for Internet access?

Does your Computer A have two network cards?

Normally, the wiring configuration that you currently have opens up all your computers to all Internet traffic. That might not be something that you want. The use of a NAT router is typically used to safely share a high speed connection. It would typically be placed in front of the high speed connection and then the other computers are placed behind it.

ICS can also provide similar functionality with a computer that has two network adapters. The following link details some of the possible wiring configurations that will support ICS.

http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/lansetup.htm

now i see. it seems that the data that is transfered from the modem through the hub to computer a is all mixed up in the network.
    I dont have two network cards for com A, how ever from the explaination, i think i will get another one.

I should set up these following configuration : Yes? or no?
    Two network cards for com A, 1 connects directly to the modem which dial to internet
    and the second NIC is to connect to the hub and create a network.

Is this setting correct and i will be able to share the internet connection to all computers in the network?

My current problem is that i cant even share data among computers in the network.
    when i can share data among computers in the network maybe i will be able to share internet connection as well.

You are now on the right track, but a SOHO router is a better way to go, if you can. That way you do not need the ICS server on in order for the other machines to access the Internet.

Lightbulb

Yeah now i can share data and files but not the internet connection yet
    i use 2 NIC for com A
    the first is to connect the modem : it is LAN connection2 with IP(192.168.0.1)
    the second is to connect to the hub : it is LAN connection 3 with IP (169.254.100.148)

i already run the ICS and set the workgroup to MSHOME, now i can get in the workgroup and access shared files.
    however com B cant access the internet
    is there any checklist to enable internet sharing?

A question, i can enable internet connection sharing from both my internet dial up connection and my LAN connection 3, which one should i chose?

http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

A lot of folks run into the problems with the Networking Wizard, that is one option you might want to steer clear of. Instead, the following 2000 Setup Guide should work just as well.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...n2k_client.htm

PS Things are still easier and will yield better overall performance in the long run with a SOHO router.

Still the probs exist, from the links u gave me, i set the properties of internet dial up connection to be shared among network which is Local Area Network 3(my home network)

com A has 2 local area network
    the first is to the modem and internet at IP:169.254.84.45 Subnet :255.255.0.0
    the second is to the home netowork at IP:192.168.0.1 Subnet:255.255.255.0

maybe the problem lies at the client computer
    i set the configuration manually, IP address of the client computer as IP:192.168.0.254 Subnet:255.255.255.0 default gateway :192.168.0.1 DNS server:192.168.0.1
    for the internet explorer i set cleared the checkbox in the LAN settings.
    whenever i open the browser it searches for proxy and dns server

questions, is the configuration of the client com is appropriate according to the setting of com A which is the host?

do i need to bridge the two LAN connection in the computer A?
    Or do i need to set up a gateway in the client com?
    Last edited by Ted123; 03-07-2004 at 01:20 PM.

The first IP settings are the defaults when DHCP can not find a DHCP server for configuration information. There's something wrong there.

The client IP settings can work, but most would just have it set for DHCP. The ICS server will then automatically manage its configuration with the built-in DHCP server.

It is starting to look like the router may yield immediate benefits for you in its reduced setup complexities.

I am not getting a router because it is too expensive for a small network.
    I changed the IP configuration for the client com to automatic, the DHCP assign the IP address of the client com to IP:169.254.62.62 Subnet:255.255.0.0
    however the host com IP is :192.168.0.1 subnet:255.255.255.0

Both computer are in MSHOME workgroup but why the client com get a very different IP address, suppose it get some IP like :192.168.0.x
    after i changed it to automatic i cant access the client com from the host com anymore
    the question is why the client get a very different IP?

Have you taken a recent look at the prices of SOHO routers? They don't cost much these days. If you truly have a hub, you might consider a SOHO router, since most include a built-in switch which is much more efficient.

The money that you think you are saving by not purchasing a SOHO router will just go into your electric bill to run your ICS host whenever any other machine within your network wants to access the Internet. Your statement does not make a lot of sense with me, since by your own accounting, you have a good amount of networking equipment at hand already???

This last link will hopefully explain to you the situation that you are experiencing while setting up ICS.

http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...?threadid=2017

This thread now contains all the information that one would ever need to setup ICS (including more information amassed by any Microsoft resource that I know of). If you still can not get things set up, then you should strongly consider a SOHO router or on-site assistance.

Thank you, your help and advices is truly appreciated.
    i will figure it out.
    Thank you