help with my wireless setup

Thread: help with my wireless setup

help with my wireless setup

HELP...

I need help with setting up my network.

The condo I just moved to has the one and only net connection in the living room. The office (where my computers are) is sufficiently distant that I don't like having to run cable. So what I need is to setup a wireless network.

The easy solution is to put a wireless router on the net connection and setup each computer with a wireless nic and have them connected to the router. The problem with this is that when I want to transfer files back and forth within my own network, it is going to be slower than it needs to be.

So what do I want?

I want a wired network in the office, and I want the wired network to be connected wirelessly to the internet connection in the living room.

I have no problem with the wired network, but I can't figure out how to connect it to the internet connection in the living room.

The equipment I have is:
    -Microsoft MN-500 Wireless router (which can be put into Bridge Mode)
    -Linksys WAP-11 Access Point
    -Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless router
    -an assortment of wired hubs/switches/NICs

Thanks!
    B

With your equipment you can Bridge the two Wired Network.

Connect the MN-500 to the Internet Modem and configure it to Bridge Mode.

Connect the WAP11 to an available Switch on the second Network and configure it to Bridge Mode.

If the distance is covered by the Wireless you would have two Wired Networks Bridged Wirelessly. However you will Not have a signal that is available for Wireless Client.

Use the Linksys as an Access Point with a Switch in one of the two Networks and you will have locally to this Network Wireless Client Capacity too. If you want total Coverage you will have to buy another Access Point or Wireless Router to cover the second Network.

Link to: How do I use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point?

Link to: Wireless Network - Configuration Modes.

Link to: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network.