My internet gateway icon vanished

Thread: My internet gateway icon vanished

My internet gateway icon vanished

Last night I went to access my Internet Gateway and found out the icon for it isn't in my Network Connections anymore, and I don't know how to get it back. I haven't made any changes to the network, and both host and client PCs are able to access the internet. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get it back?

BTW I'm running Windows XP SP1.

by 'internet gateway' you mean the host computer? if so, get on your client pc and do a search for computer. type the name of the gateway comp and see if it will come up in the search. also, check out the network help in windows help.

Go to "my network connections" and right click mouse and choose properties on the connections which you lost. Right click again and choose propperties.

At the end you see a checkbox "Show icon in notification area when connected." Make sure its checked.

Hi, my first post....

I kinda got the same prob/ques. I've set up a network between a cable hosted XP machine and a 98se client. There is a network connection (pc's are both in the network) But somehow I can't seem to get the gateway icon/connection to appear on the CLIENT. When trying to start the gateway thrue the start menu it can't start because it needs I.E. 5.01 or higher and SE uses 5.0 by default....

And should this be the main reason ICS ain't working on the client?

Greetz

X-Ray
    Last edited by X-Ray; 08-30-2003 at 09:00 AM.

ICS does not require any specific setup on the client. ICS is just creating a NAT router on the server. The router information is typically delivered to the clients via DHCP.

From the client viewpoint, it is just connecting to a router when it is actually connecting to the server that is performing NAT under ICS.

Furthermore, you will not see a connection status icon on 9x and ME for most NICs. A connection icon is only displayed for dial-up/virtual connections through the dialer, unless a 3rd party utility is installed.
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by cszeto; 09-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.

That's the strange thing, I had to format the HDD for other reasons... but before the format, the gateway icon did appear... showing the Cable connection with the right speed. No 3rd party util active (internet didn't work though)
    Thing back then was, that there was no data comming in or going out.... but the connection was made and shown!

no internet gateway - HELP

i've been having this problem as well. trying to get an xp desktop and an xp laptop to share an internet connection and they are networked together succesfully through ethernet, but i can't get a ISC going. on the client there is no 'internet gateway' icon. it popped up once, magically for a while, but is now gone again. the host is configured to share the internet connection, so i can't figure out what's going on. i have searched the deja news groups and found the same problem, but no satisfactory answer - please help!

z

At a minimum, ICS requires two networking devices on the server and one at the client. One of the networking devices is to be connected to the connection to be shared (i.e. dial-up, ethernet, etc.), the other networking device (i.e. ethernet, firewire, etc.) is then managed by ICS. ICS manages the second networking device by assigning an IP of 192.168.0.1 to it and makes it a DHCP server.

The client does not need to install any ICS client. The networking device on the client needs to match the one being managed by ICS (i.e. ethernet, firewire, etc.) and is typically set to have its IP managed by DHCP.

On 200x and XP, a network connections display can be configured to show up in the lower right corner by the clock as pointed out by EricB. If you have it enabled and it showed up as a tiny computer with an "X" at the bottom, then your network connection is not complete (usually at the physical level, i.e. wrong or disconnected cable), it has nothing to do with ICS.
    ________
    Delice live
    Last edited by cszeto; 09-06-2011 at 07:29 AM.

hey, thanks for your input.

these are two home computers. my 'server' as such does have two networking devies (i think) the cable modem is attached via a usb port, and then the ethernet cable (a crossover one) is used to conect the two computers together via thier ethernet cards. the network works, i can file share, etc. the internet works, but only on the server.

i've tried both setting the ip adresses to the 192 and also letting them be configured automatically.

i've got the icons on my system tray - and they blink to reflect the network is working properly - i'm not worried about those - it's the big icon, under the heading "Internet Gateway" that is in the network connections folder that is missing. on both server and client. and so i can't get my shared internet connection on the client without that set of preferneces that i could access from that icon.

i'll go back and set up the IPs in the way you've suggested. any other advice you have would be much appriciated, as i feel like i've been at that configuration before.

z

There is no need for any ICS client. It actually sounds like you are trying to configure a second ICS server on your client. The client is just configured as a NIC that receives its IP information via DHCP. If the client is unable to be configured via DHCP, then DHCP on the server and/or the ICS server is not running correctly.
    ________
    How to roll a joint
    Last edited by cszeto; 09-06-2011 at 07:29 AM.

got it zeto. thanks alot for your help!