10mbps instead of 100mbps

Thread: 10mbps instead of 100mbps

10mbps instead of 100mbps

I am having problems getting our network to run on the 100mbps speed. It runs fine on the 10mbps full-duplex but won't work on the 100. I have 5 computers and all of them have the 10/100 NIC cards. Also, I am using a 10/100 Switch with the RJ-45 Cat-5e wire. I am using Windows XP Home edition. Anyone have any ideas of what to check?

How do you determine what speed they are running at - you are looking at the indicators on the switch ?

Switch ports are generally auto-negotiating - i.e. they determine the speed the NIC can communicate with. Sometimes this fails and they will drop to 10Mbps. You can set the NIC to 100Mbps and see what happens. If all the NICs are running at 10Mbps then I would suspect a failure in the switch.

Greenstead
    Only Human.

TCP/IP File Sharing Checklist

Wireless a/b/g

If you are waiting a reply from me and none appears, Personal Message me to get my attention.
    Note: My views are based on my personal experience and do not represent practicallynetworked.com

10mbps speed

When we change the speed of the card to 100mbps it stops receiving data. But, if we change it back to the 10mbps speed it starts receiving again.

it's working

Thanks for the help, but Windows XP wasn't the problem. My wiring was the problem. I found out that the network only uses pins 1,2 and 3,6. They must be used in the same pair, like orange and white/orange and green and white/green. I thought as long as it was wired straight through, then it was ok. Well, it's not!!

Here is the site I went to:

http://www.datacottage.com/nch/testing.htm

I hope this helps, it sure helped me!